Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Last Man Standing



After six seasons on the air, the television hit show "Last Man Standing" was cancelled abruptly.  I've seen many reasons for this decision, but one of them caught my attention.  One article stated that the hit series was cancelled due to it's religious content.  As a person of faith, I loved this show and of course, it didn't bother me when they referred to church or God.  However, I know that there are people out there that would not be comfortable with a show like this.  To those people I would simply say change the channel.

"Make allowance for each other's faults and forgive anyone who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."  Colossians 3:13 (NLT)

The people who wanted this show cancelled based it on the fact that they were "offended".  I believe the actual reason was because they were uncomfortable.  As people of faith, we are instructed to make allowance for other people.  We are also instructed to forgive anyone who offends us.  Did you know that being offended is a choice?  I can say the exact same thing to a group of people and some will be offended and some won't.  The difference is in the thinking. 

Only God knows our hearts.  Therefore, when someone says something, we don't always know why they are saying it.  Maybe they had a bad day, maybe they truly don't realize how it sounds, and maybe they just don't care.  But we don't know - this is why God instructs us to not be offended.  God showed me this in a very clear way several years ago.  I had someone in my life that loved me, but many times their words were like venom.  I was constantly being hurt by them and it was making me very upset and causing a wedge in our relationship.  Then one day, God showed me what I am telling you today.  Now, when that person speaks with venom, I hurt for a moment and then release it - not because it is easy, or even because I believe they didn't mean it - I do it simply because it is what God has instructed me to do.

You can go through your life being offended all the time - by television shows, by comments that people make, by the opinions of others - there are countless ways.  Or you can choose to obey God and release the offense and forgive the person.  The choice is yours!  And in the case of the television show "Last Man Standing" (or the news or anything else on TV), you can simple change the channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment